Cook time8 minutes
ServingsServes 6 to 8
- 5 Egg Yolks
- ¾ cup of Granulated Sugar
- 2 cups of Whole Milk
- 1 ½ cup of Heavy Cream
- 1/3 cup of Cocoa Powder
- 5 ounces of Semisweet Chocolate, broken into pieces
- ¼ tsp of Salt
- ½ tsp of Instant Espresso Powder
1) In a large bowl, Whisk together the eggs and sugar for 3 to 4 minutes or until the mixture turns a thick pale color, set aside.
2) In a medium saucepan, add the milk, cream, instant espresso and cocoa powder, bring a simmer but don’t let it boil.
3) Whisk 1 cup of the hot mixture into the egg and sugar mixture and whisk until smooth.
4) Pour the egg mixture into the saucepan with the remaining milk and egg mixture and cook over low heat for about 5 minutes or until the mixture thickens.
5) Add the broken chocolate pieces in a large bowl and set aside. Strain the mixture through a fine sieve in the large bowl over the chocolate, allow it to sit for a couple minutes. Whisk it all together until the chocolate is melted, cover with plastic wrap making sure that the plastic wrap is actually touching the cream mixture, refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours or up to overnight.
6) Make sure to put your ice cream machine insert in the freezer overnight.
7) Add the custard in your frozen ice cream machine insert. Turn the ice cream machine on and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions (mine takes about 25 minutes).
Report a problem