Cook time minutes
For the Custard:
- 1 lb of Mascarpone, softened at room temperature
- 1 cup of Heavy Cream
- 1/2 cup of Granulated Sugar
- 4 Egg Yolks
- 2 tsp of Unflavored Gelatin
- 1/4 cup of Water
- 1 Tbsp of Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tbsp of Rum
- Zest of 1 OrangeFor the syrup:
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup of Rum
- Juice of 1 OrangeFor the remaining:
- Italian Ladyfingers
- 1 Whole Panettone
- Sugared Cranberries, optional
1) Overline a 10Ē spring form pan with plastic wrap and set aside. In a saucepan, add the water and sugar and cook just long enough to melt the sugar then allow to cook in a shallow bowl, once cooled, add the juice of 1 orange followed by the rum, set aside.
2) Sprinkle the gelatin over the water and set it aside.
3) In a large bowl, whisk the heavy cream with a handheld electric whisk until it forms stiff peaks, set aside.
4) In a separate smaller bowl, whisk the egg yolks with 1/4 cup of the sugar with the electric whisk until it forms thick pale yellow ribbons, and set that aside as well.
5) In another bowl (this is the last bowl I promise) using the same electric whisk, whisk together the mascarpone, rum, vanilla , zest of 1 orange, and remaining 1/4 cup of sugar (donít panic if it thickens a bit) then add the whipped egg yolk mixture mix that in gently with a spatula, then fold in the whipped cream while drizzling the gelatin water and continue to mix until well combined, set aside.
6) Start assembling your cake by lining the edge of your prepared pan with ladyfingers, then add your first layer of panettone (cut it however you need to make it fit) then add a generous amount of the syrup to the sponge, followed by 1/4 of the custard and repeat the same process until youíre at the top. Loosely cover with more plastic wrap and pop it in the fridge overnight.
7) Remove the sides of the pan then slide the cake off the the plastic onto a platter, fill the inside with sugared cranberries (this is not necessary, some powdered sugar will suffice) wrap a bow around the middle of the cake and serve!
Report a problem