Cook time1 hours 15 minutes
- 6oz of Bacon, chopped
- Olive Oil
- 3lb of Bone in, Skin On, Chicken Thighs
- 1 Large Yellow Onion, chopped
- 3 Carrots, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 4 Cloves of Garlic, minced
- 4 Tbsp of Cognac
- 3 Tbsp of Tomato Paste
- 2 cups of Dry Red Wine
- 1-1/4 cups of Chicken Stock
- 1 small Sprig of Rosemary or Few Sprigs of Thyme
- 1 cup of Frozen Pearl Onion
- 8oz of Button Mushrooms, halved or quartered
- 3 Tbsp of Unsalted Butter
- 1 1/2 Tbsp of All Purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp of Fresh Chopped Parsley
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
1) Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
2) In a shallow Dutch oven, cook the bacon until crispy, remove the bacon to a plate, discard the fat leaving one tablespoon behind. While the bacon is cooking, season the chicken well with salt and pepper and set aside.
3) Add another tablespoon of olive oil, preheat over medium high heat, once the oil shimmers, add the chicken (in batches) skin side down, cook until golden brown and crispy, continue with the rest of the chicken adding a bit more oil if necessary.
4) Add another drizzle of olive oil, then add the carrots and onion, add a small pinch of salt, cook until the veggies are tender and develop some color, about 5 minutes, add the garlic, cook one more minute.
5) Add the cognac, cook until reduced by half, stir in the tomato paste and cook for another 30 seconds. Add the wine, stock and rosemary, cooked bacon, nestle the seared chicken back in, cover and pop in the oven for 45 minutes.
6) While the chicken is cooking, saute the mushrooms in 2 tablespoons of butter with a bit of salt and pepper until golden brown, about 10 minutes, set aside.
7) Add the remaining bit of butter flour in a small bowl, and stir with a spoon until it forms a paste, set aside.
8) Take the chicken out of the oven, place it on a burner over medium heat, remove the lid, once bubbling, add the butter/flour paste, frozen pearl onions and cooked mushrooms, cook 10 more minutes or until thickened, adjust the seasoning to taste, finish with the parsley and enjoy!
Report a problem