Cook time3 hours 0 minutes
ServingsServes 6 to 8
- 4 to 5 lb Corned Beef Brisket, your favorite brand, I used O'Reillys, removed from the package, rinsed well and seasoning reserved
- 1 Yellow Onion, halved
- 1 Head of Garlic, halved
- Fresh Thyme
- Handful of Fresh Parsley
- 3 stalks of celery, roughly chopped
- 2 lb or so of Potatoes, cut in chunks or baby potatoes left whole
- 3 or 4 Carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks (about same thickness as the potatoes)
- 1 Head of Cabbage, halved cored and sliced
- 2 Tbsp of Butter
1) Fill a large pot with water (about 16 cups) then add the onion, garlic, parsley, thyme, beef and seasoning packet, bring to a simmer, cook on low for 2.5 to 3 hours or until tender.
2) Remove the brisket from the broth, skim out the onion, garlic, celery and herbs, then add the carrots and potatoes and cook until tender, about 30 minutes, meanwhile, make the cabbage.
3) In a large skillet, add the butter, once melted, add the cabbage (you might have to cover it and let it wilt before stirring it) saute until slightly tender adding about 1/2 cup or so (you might need more) of the cooking liquid from the corned beef to help it cook down.
4) Remove the fat cap from the beef (optional) slice the beef thinly against the grain, then serve with the carrots, potatoes, and sauteed cabbage.
Report a problem