Cook time1 hours 0 minutes
- 3 Tbsp of Unsalted Butter
- 1 Tbsp of Olive Oil
- 1 Large Yellow Onion, diced
- 3 Cloves of Garlic, minced
- 4 Tbsp of Flour
- 3lb of Russet or Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 cups of Chicken Stock
- 2 cups of Milk
- 2 Tbsp of Garlic and Herb Seasoning
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 cups of Shredded Sharp Cheddar (I opted to top mine with the cheese but add it in for a rich and luxe taste)For topping:
- Sour Cream
- Cooked Crumbled Bacon (I cooked mine separately to keep the soup bacon free)
1) In a large Dutch oven, add the butter and oil, preheat over medium heat, once shimmering add the garlic and onion along with a pinch of salt and saute until really soft and translucent, about 7-8 minutes.
2) Add the flour, stir it in well and cook for a minute, then add the stock, milk, potatoes and garlic and herb seasoning, bring to a boil, reduce to medium low and simmer for about 40 to 45 minutes, you want the potatoes to be very soft and practically fall apart.
3) Season to taste and at this point you can turn this into cheddar potato soup by adding the cheese directly to the soup and stirring it until melted or just serve it on top.
4) Top with desired toppings and enjoy!
Report a problem