Cook time25 minutes
ServingsMakes about 18
- 5 oz of Bacon, diced
- 2 Large Onions, thinly sliced
- 3 Cloves of Garlic, minced
- Drizzle of Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp of Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup of Dry Red Wine
- Few Sprigs of Fresh Thyme or a Pinch of Dry Thyme
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 6 oz of Freshly Shredded Gruyere
- 2 Sheets of Puff Pastry, thawed
- Egg Wash, one egg beaten with a splash of milk or water
1) In a cast iron skillet, add the bacon, turn it on medium heat and cook until the bacon becomes slightly crisp around the edges, remove to a plate with a slotted spoon, discard most of the bacon fat leaving behind just a tablespoon, add a drizzle of olive oil along with the onions, season them with salt and pepper and saute until tender and slightly caramelized, about 20 minutes.
2) Add the brown sugar, garlic, wine and thyme and cook a few more minutes until the wine reduces and the mixture thickens slightly, add the bacon back in, remove from the heart to cool.
3) Preheat your oven to 375 degrees, line a couple baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
4) Roll out the puff pastry one sheet at a time on your work surface so it's about one inch bigger on all sides, cut out 9 squares our of each one, then top each with a bit of the onion mixture followed by the cheese, brush the edges with egg wash and pull the opposite corners together to seal (watch video to see how I do this)and place them on your prepared baking sheet.
5) Brush all of them with some of the egg wash, sprinkle a touch of salt and pepper over the top then bake for about 20 to 25 minutes until puffy and golden brown, allow to cool slightly before serving.
Report a problem