Cook time minutes
- 4 Large Yellow Sweet Onions, peeled and sliced into half moon slices
- 2 Tbsp of Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp of Unsalted Butter
- 1 Tbsp of Sugar
- 1 Tbsp of Fresh Thyme, chopped
- ½ cup of Sherry
- 4 cups of Beef Stock
- 1 cup of Grated Sharp Cheddar or Grated Swiss
- 4 Slices of Crusty Bread, cut into bite size chunks and toasted
- Salt and pepper to taste
1) Preheat a large pot over medium heat and add the olive oil and butter, let the butter melt and add in the onions, sugar and salt and pepper. Cook for about 25 to 30 minutes stirring frequently or until the onions develop a beautiful deep caramelized brown color.
2) Add the sherry and thyme and cook for about 1 minute, turn the heat to medium high, add the beef broth and season with salt and pepper. Le it come to a boil then reduce the heat to medium and let it cook for about 15 to 20 minutes.
3) Preheat your broiler to high.
4) Ladle the soup in some oven safe bowls and top them with the bread and cheese, pop them under the broiler for just a couple minutes or until the cheese melts and its all bubbly and golden brown. Enjoy!
Report a problem