Cook time20 minutes
ServingsMakes 12 cupcakes
For the Gingerbread cupcake Batter:
- 1 2/3 cups of Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Ginger
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Cloves
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 cup Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup Molasses
- 1/2 cup Buttermilk
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Lemon Zest
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 cup Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
- 3 Tbsp Molasses
- 3 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 3/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cloves
- About 1 Tbsp or so of milk, if needed
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, line a muffin tin with liners and set aside.
2) In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon and cloves, set aside.
3) In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter, lemon zest and sugar for about 1 minute or until fluffy.
4) Add the molasses, eggs and vanilla and mix it for about a minute, add in the buttermilk and the dry ingredients and mix the batter long enough to get it all mixed well but donít over mix.
5) Divide your batter evenly into your muffin tin using an ice cream scoop and bake for about 20 minutes or until fully cooked. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
6) To make the frosting, in the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter and molasses, add the sugar and spices and mix on medium speed until you get a smooth and creamy frosting consistency. This might take up to 5 or 6 minutes to get that fluffy and creamy buttercream frosting so donít panic if it takes longer than you expected. Add a bit of milk if you feel like your frosting is a little too thick.
7) Place the frosting in a disposable piping bag fitted with your preferred tip and decorate as desired.
Report a problem