Cook time20 minutes
For the chicken:
- 1 1/4lb of Chicken Tenders or Chicken Breast Cut into large chunks
- Neutral Oil
- Salt to taste
- 3 tbsp of Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 2 Tbsp of Honey
- 2 Tbsp of Water
- 1 tsp (or more to taste) of chili sauce of choice, I Like Gojujang or Sirarcha for this
- 1 tsp of Granulated Garlic
- 1 tsp of Granulated Onion
- 1 tsp of Dried Ginger
- 1 cup of Sushi Rice or any short grain rice
- 1 tsp of Sugar
- 1 tsp of Salt
- 1 Tbsp of Rice Vinegar
- 4 Mini Cucumbers or 3/4 of a Seedless cucumber, sliced into 1/4 inch coins
- 1 1/2 Tbsp of Rice Vinegar
- 1 tsp of Toasted Sesame Oil
- Salt to taste
- Toasted Sesame Seeds, optional (but good here)
1) Simultaneously work on the chicken and rice, start by rinsing the rice really well through a sieve until the water runs clear and is no longer cloudy, add it to a saucepan with 1 3/4 cups of water, along with the sugar and salt, bring to a boil, cover, reduce the heat to low and cook for 15 minutes. Meanwhile work on the chicken.
2) In a medium size skillet (I used a 10” nonstick) add about a tablespoon of oil, allow it to shimmer and get slightly smokey over medium high heat, season both sides of the chicken with some salt, cook for about 3 minutes per side, meanwhile mix the sauce.
3) In a small bowl, add the honey, soy, water, ground onions, garlic and ginger and chili sauce, whisk to combine, pour over the chicken (once it’s cooked on both sides) lower the heat to medium low and let it all bubble and thicken for a few minutes.
4) In a small bowl, toss the cucumbers with the vinegar, sesame oil and salt, set aside.
5) Once the rice is done, add the vinegar and fork it through nicely to fluff it up, serve with the chicken and cucumbers and if you have some on hand (and you should) some pickled onions and sprinkle the chicken and cucumbers with toasted sesame seeds.
Report a problem