Cook time15 minutes
ServingsServes 8 to 10
- 1-1/4 cup of All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup of Granulated Sugar
- 4 Eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup of Milk
- 1 tsp of Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp of Salt
- 1 tsp of Vanilla Paste or Extract
- 1/2 cup of Strawberry Jam
- Strawberry Ice Cream, you will need about 4 cups or so of ice cream.
- Mango Sorbet, you will need about 2 cups but have a little extra on hand.
- Juice of 1 Orange
- You will also need a 10” bowl and a 6” bowl.NOTE: Make sure you allow your ice cream to come to room temperature before working with it.
1) Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a 15x10 inch jelly roll pan with parchment paper and spray it with some non-stick spray, set aside.
2) In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks, set aside.
3) In a small bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt, set aside.
4) In the bowl of a standing mixer, fitted with a whisk attachment, whisk together the sugar and egg yolks on medium-high speed for about 3 to 4 minutes or until the mixture has become super thick and pale in color.
5) Add the milk and vanilla and mix it in so it’s nicely combined.
6) Add in the sifted dry ingredients, mixing it just long enough for the batter to come together but don’t over mix. Fold in the whipped egg whites gently.
7) Pour the batter into your prepared pan, pop it in the oven and bake it for 12 to 14 minutes or until the cake is fully cooked though.
8) Cool for just 5 minutes.
9) Lay a large lint free kitchen towel on your counter and dust it generously with confectioner sugar.
10) Turn the cake onto the kitchen towel, peel off the parchment paper and roll it up with the towel into a jelly roll starting from the short side.
11) Allow it to cool for about an hour and a half on a wire rack.
12) Unroll the cake, spread it evenly with the the preserves, re-wrap it and cover with a towel, and pop it in the fridge for a couple hours. Slice the jelly roll into slices, about 1/4” thick and set aside.
13) Line a 10” bowl with plastic wrap, and cover the bottom and sides with the slices of the jelly roll cake. Add a little orange juice all over the sliced jelly roll and set aside.
14) Add your strawberry ice cream and smear it all over the sides and bottom of the jelly roll lined cake, place your smaller bowl in the center squeezing just a tiny bit so the ice cream settles, cover with plastic wrap and pop it in the freezer for a couple hours or overnight.
15) Take your ice cream bomb out of the freezer and allow it to sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes. Remove the center bowl and add your mango sorbet. Cover back up with plastic wrap and push everything down with a small plate.
16) Pop it back in the freezer for a couple hours and serve!
Report a problem