Preparation4 hours 0 minutes
Cook time45 minutes
ServingsServes 4 to 6
For the marinade:
- 2 Tbsp of Vegetable Oil
- 3 Cloves of Garlic, smashed and peeled
- 1/2 of a Yellow Onion, roughly Chopped
- 1 Habanero Pepper, seeded
- 2 tsp of Ground Allspice
- 1/2 tsp of Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of Ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp of Ground Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp of Dry Thyme
- 1-1/2 Tbsp of Brown Sugar
- 2 Tbsp of Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 3 Tbsp of Lime Juice
- 1 Tbsp of Grated Fresh Ginger
- Salt, to tasteFor the chicken:
- 2 lb of Chicken DrumsticksFor the Rice and Peas:
- 1 cup of Long Grain Rice
- 2 cups of Water
- 1/2 cup of Coconut Milk
- 1 Can of Pigeon Peas
- Chopped Scallions
- Salt, to taste
1) To make the chicken, add all of the ingredients for the marinade in a food processor and pulse until the mixture is pureed. Place the marinade and the chicken in a large resealable bag, move everything around to coat the chicken well and pop it in the fridge for several hours or overnight.
2) Preheat your oven to 400 degrees, and while the oven preheats, remove the chicken and marinade to baking dish allow your chicken to rest at room temperature for a few minutes.
3) Roast the chicken for about 45 minutes or until it develops a roasted color all around, and meanwhile, make the rice.
4) To make the rice, add all of the ingredients to a saucepan, bring to a boil over medium heat, reduce the heat to medium low (a little lower than that) cover and simmer for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, turn the heat off and let it sit covered until the chicken is done.
5) To serve, fluff the rice with a fork, place it in a serving dish, top the rice with the chicken and sprinkle some chopped scallions all over the top.
Report a problem