Cook time3 hours 20 minutes
- 2 Pounds of Ground Beef
- 1 Yellow Onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup of Red Wine (merlot is my favorite)
- 2 28oz Cans of Tomato Puree
- 3 Tbsp of Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Fresh Basil
1) In a large heavy bottomed pot, add the olive oil and let it preheat over medium high heat until it's nice and hot. Add the ground beef and make sure to break it up as much as possible with a wooden spoon. Allow the ground beef to cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until mostly cooked through.
2) At this point, if you feel like the beef gave out too much fat, strain some out.
3) Add the onions to the beef mixture and season with salt and pepper. Let the mixture cook for about 7 to 8 minutes or until eh onions have cooked down.
4) Add the wine and let it reduce for about 1 minute.
5) Add the tomato puree and add about 1/2 cup of water to one of the tomato puree cans and add the water to the sauce.
6) Bring the mixture to a light bubble and then reduce the heat to low, partially cover the pot with a lid and let the sauce cook for about 3-1/2 hours.
7) After 3-1/2 hours, season the sauce with some salt to taste and if you feel like you want the sauce to be a little sweeter, add a 1 tbsp of sugar. Add the basil and that it!