Cook time1 hours 10 minutes
ServingsServes 6 to 8
For the meatballs:
- 1 lb of Ground Beef
- 2 Cloves of Garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp of Parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup of Grated Parm
- 2 Pieces of Italian Bread (or 1/4 cup of Breadcrumbs) Soaked in 1/2 cup of milk
- 1 Egg
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 to 3 Tbsp of Olive Oil
- 1 Small Onion, finely chopped
- 12 cups of Chicken Stock
- 2 Heads of Escarole, washed and chopped
- 2” Parmesan Rind
- 2-14oz cans of Cannellini Beans, drained and rinsed
1) Start by making the meatballs. In a large bowl, add the beef, garlic, parm, parsley, soaked bread (squeeze the excess milk but if adding the milk to the breadcrumbs just add the whole thing in) egg and salt, mix thoroughly and form into bite size small meatballs. If the mixture feels wet pop them in the freezer for 10 minutes.
2) In a large soup pot, sear the meatballs on all sides, remove to a plate, add the onion and saute until soft and translucent.
3) Add the stock, beans, seared meatballs and parm rind, bring to a simmer, cook partially covered for about 45 minutes to an hur or until the meatballs are really tender.
4) Add the escarole and simmer for another 15 minutes. Adjust the seasoning to taste and serve with a fresh grating of parm and a hunk of bread.
Report a problem