Cook time15 minutes
ServingsServes 8 to 10
For the Jelly Roll:
- 1 cup of All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup of Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp of Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp of Instant Coffee
- 1/4 tsp of Salt
- 3/4 cup of Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup of Milk
- 4 Eggs, SeparatedFor the remaining Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup of heavy Cream, whipped to stiff peaks
- 1 qt of Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- 1 qt of Chocolate Ice Cream
1) Preheat your oven to 375 degrees, line a baking sheet with parchment paper, spray it with some non stick spray and set aside.
2) In a bowl, using a handheld electric whisk, whip the egg whites until they develop semi-stiff peaks, set aside.
3) In a large bowl, using the same whisk, whisk together the egg yolks, vanilla and sugar for a couple of minutes or until thick and pale in color.
4) Add all the dry ingredients along with the milk and about 1/4 of the whipped egg whites, whisk it all together until smooth then carefully add the remaining egg whites and fold them in the batter.
5) Pour the batter into your prepared pan then pop it in the oven to bake for about 12 to 14 minutes or until the cake is cooked through, allow it to cool for 5 minutes.
6) Lay a lint free kitchen towel flat on a surface, cover with powdered sugar then invert the cake onto it, and starting from the shorter side, start rolling the cake (watch the video for better instructions) including the towel so it looks like a jelly roll, place it on a wire rack to cool completely.
7) Unroll the cake, smear with the whipped cream and then roll it back up and pop it in the freezer for about 15 minutes, at this point, take the mint ice cream out of the freezer and allow it to come to room temperature for a few minutes so it can soften a bit.
8) Line a 10 inch bowl with plastic wrap (make sure itís overhanging on the sides) then cut the jelly roll into slices and line the bottom and sides of the bowl, then add the ice cream to the center and press the smaller bowl in the middle to even out the ice cream and create a well, fold the over hanging plastic wrap over the top and pop it in the freezer for a couple of hours.
9) Remove the small bowl, fill the well it with chocolate ice cream (make sure you let the ice cream soften a room temp slightly so itís easier to work with) pop it back in the freezer for a minimum of 4 hours or up to overnight.
10) Invert the bomb onto a platter, sprinkle some powdered sugar and cocoa powder over the top and dig in!
Report a problem