Cook time35 minutes
For the Risotto Base:
- 1 Small Onion, minced
- ¼ cup of Diced Celery
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 cup of Arborio Rice
- ¾ cup of White Wine
- 4 1/2 to 5 cups of Beef Stock
- 2 Tbsp of Olive Oil
- ½ cup of Freshly Grated Parmiggiano Reggiano
- 3 Tbsp of Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh Parsley, choppedFor the Mushrooms:
- 10 oz of Mixed Mushrooms or Cremini Mushrooms, sliced
- 1oz of Dried Porcini Mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp of Olive Oil
- 2 Cloves of Garlic, minced
- A Pinch of Hot Pepper Flakes
- 2 tsp of Fresh Thyme, chopped
- 2 Tbsp of Fresh Parsley, chopped
- Salt and Pepper to taste
For the mushrooms:
1) Take 1 cup of water and bring it to a simmer, turn the heat off and add the dried porcini. Let them sit for 10 minutes.
2) In a large skillet, add the oil and allow it to preheat over medium heat, add the garlic and cook until lightly golden.
3) Add the mushrooms the reconstituted porcini and hot pepper flakes and season with salt and pepper. Let them cook for about 10 minutes or until they have developed some color and have cooked down a bit.
4) Sprinkle in the thyme and parsley and set aside
For the risotto:
5) Place the beef broth and the Porcini water (don’t pour in the very bottom because it can be a little gritty) in a saucepan over medium low heat and keep it gently simmering.
6) Preheat a large skillet with high sides over medium heat, cook the onions, celery and garlic in the olive oil for 5 to 7 minutes or until translucent. Add the rice and coat it in the oil, let it cook for about a minute.
7) Add the wine and allow it to reduce for about a minute as well. Add a ladle full of the simmering beef broth to the rice, stir constantly and continue to add the broth one ladle full at a time making sure to wait until the rice has soaked it all up before adding in another. Continue cooking the rice this way for about 18 minutes or until the rice is about 5 minutes away from being fully cooked.
8) When the rice is just about fully cooked, add in one more ladle full of beef broth along with the cooked mushroom mixture and season with salt and pepper. Add in the parmiggiano and butter, turn the heat off and place a lid on the pan. Let it sit for 5 minutes covered. Scatter over the chopped parsley and serve immediately!
Report a problem