Cook time10 minutes
ServingsServes 4 to 6
- 3 cups of Whole Milk
- 3/4 cup of Heavy Cream
- 6 Egg Yolks
- 1/3 cup of Granulated Sugar
- 6 oz of Shelled, unsalted Pistachios
- 1/8 tsp of Almond Extract
- 2 tsp of Vanilla Extract
- Green Food Coloring, optional
1) Add the pistachios and 2 Tbsp of sugar to a food processor and pulse until super finely chopped (almost pulverized), set aside while you bring 2 cups of whole milk to a simmer.
2) Add the pistachio mixture to the simmered milk, remove from the heat and allow to steep for a couple hours.
3) Strain the pistachio mixture through a fine sieve (squeeze as much liquid out of the pistachio mixture as possible) then add enough milk to reach 2 3/4 cups, then add the mixture along with the heavy cream, bring to a gentle simmer, meanwhile in a bowl, using a handheld electric whisk, whisk together the egg yolks and remaining sugar until thick and pale, then while whisking slowly add about a cup of the simmering milk mixture to temper the eggs, then add the egg mixture in the saucepan with the remaining milk mixture and cook on low while constantly stirring for about 8 to 10 minutes or until thickened.
4) Strain the mixture through a sieve, stir in the almond extract, vanilla extract and enough food coloring to achieve your desired shade of green, then cover with plastic wrap (make sure the plastic is covering the custard) and pop it in the fridge for 24 hours.
NOTE: At this point, you might need to place the insert to your ice cream machine in the freezer so make sure you check your particular ice cream machine instructions.
5) After 24 hours, churn the custard in your machine (check instructions for how long it will take) then pop in the freezer for about an hour before serving.
NOTE: Take the ice cream out of the freezer (once fully frozen solid) for about 10 minutes to soften before serving.
Report a problem