Cook time30 minutes
For the dough:
- 2 cups of All Purpose Flour
- 3 Tbsp of Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp of salt
- 3/4 cup of warm water, about 115 degrees Fahrenheit
- 2 tsp of Active Dry Yeast
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 cup of Butter, cold, cut into small pieces
- 2 Tbsp of Yellow Mustard
- 4 oz of Shredded Cheddar
- 48-50 mini Hot Dogs
- 8 oz of Cream Cheese, softened at room temp
- 1/2 cup of Heavy Cream
- 6 oz of Lager or light beer of your choice
- 8 oz of Sharp Cheddar, crumbled or shredded
- 4 oz of Pepper Jack, crumbled or shredded
- 1 tsp of Granulated Garlic
- 1 tsp of Paprika
- 1 Tbsp of Dijon Mustard
- 1 tsp of Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
1) In a small bowl with the warm water, sprinkle over the yeast and one teaspoon of sugar and set aside until the yeast has activated.
2) In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, add the flour, sugar, salt, egg and yeast mixture, knead on medium speed for 2 minutes then slowly start adding the butter while kneading (sprinkle about 1 tbsp of flour if the sides of the bowl are a tad greasy and it will be perfect) once the dough comes together, place it in an oiled bowl, cover and allow it to rise until doubled.
3) Lightly dust your surface with a touch of flour, flatten your dough, roll out to about 15x10 inch rectangle, smear the mustard all over the surface, sprinkle the cheese all over and cut out about 24 or 25 (half of the amount of mini franks) long strips, then cut those in half horizontally so you have about 50 small strips (again, cut the amount of strips you need, this dough makes enough for 50 mini franks).
4) Wrap each mini frank in a piece of the dough (do not worry if it gets messy and the cheese and mustard end up on the outside, it works perfectly) place them sitting up in a lightly greased 10 inch round pan, loosely cover with a lint free towel and allow to rest for 30 to 45 minutes.
5) Preheat your oven to 375 degrees, pop them in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes, meanwhile, make the dip.
6) In a small saucepan, add the cream cheese and heavy cream and cook over medium, whisking constantly until the cream cheese has melted, then add the beer. Once up to a simmer, slowly start adding the cheese while constantly whisking and once the cheese is all melted, add the mustard, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, paprika and a touch of salt and pepper to taste.
7) Allow to cool a bit (it will thicken as it cools) and serve with the mini franks.
Report a problem