Cook time20 minutes
ServingsMakes 2 Dozen
- 1 cup of Almonds, toasted and chopped
- 3/4 cups of Ground Almonds
- 1 3/4 cups of All Purpose Flour
- 1-3/4 cups of Granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp of Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp of Ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp of Ground Cloves
- 1/4 tsp of Ground White Pepper
- 1 tsp of Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp of Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp of Salt
- About 1/2 cup of Water
- 1 Egg
- Zest of One Orange
- Zest of Half of a Lemon
- 1/2 cup of Candies Citrus Rind (optional)
- Eggwash, one egg beaten with a bit of water or milk
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2) Line a couple baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
3) In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a paddle attachment, add the ground almonds, all purpose flour, sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, white pepper, salt, baking powder, baking soda, candied citrus peel, lemon zest and orange zest. Mix them to combine.
4) Add the egg and some of the water with the motor running on low. Add it a little at a time just until a dough comes together.
5) Dump onto a lightly floured surface, cut out 1 inch balls out of the dough and roll them to be about 7 inches long. Join them at the edge so you have a circle.
6) Place them on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, brush the tops with the egg wash and bake them for about 12 to 14 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
7) Allow them to cool for 5 minutes on a baking sheet before placing them on a wire rack to cool completely!
NOTE: In the video I used 2 eggs because I made a slightly bigger batch. You also can skip the eggs all together and add just a bit more water, that will result in a puffier and much drier and crunchy cookie.
Report a problem