Cook time15 minutes
For the spice mixture:
- 2 Tbsp of Cajun or Creole Seasoning
- 3 tsp of Granulated Garlic
- 3 tsp of Granulated Onion
- 3 tsp of Paprika
- 1.5 tsp of Dry Thyme
- Pinch of Cayenne
- 1-1/2 lb of Shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 cup of Buttermilk
- 2/3 of the Spice Mixture, divided
- 2 Tbsp of Hot Sauce of your choice
- 3/4 cup of Cornmeal
- 3/4 cup of All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup of Mayo
- 2 Tbsp of Dill Pickle Relish, plus a little of the juice, or more to taste
- 1 Shallot, grated
- 1 clove of Garlic, Grated
- Remainder of Spice Mixture
- Squeeze of Lemon Juice
- Few Dashes of Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Tbsp of Hot Sauce, or more to taste
- French Rolls
- Shredded Iceberg Lettuce
- Sliced Tomatoes
- Dill pickles or Dill Pickle Relish
1) In a bowl, add the shrimp along with the buttermilk, 1/3 of the spice mixture and hot sauce, mix, cover and refrigerate for about an hour.
2) While the shrimp are chilling, make the remoulade. In a bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the remoulade, cover and refrigerate until needed.
3) Add a couple inches of frying oil to a cast iron skillet, slowly bring it to temp, meanwhile, bread your shrimp.
4) In a shallow bowl, stir together the flour, cornmeal and 1/3 of the spice mixture, then dredge each shrimp (making sure to shake off any excess buttermilk) in this mixture and set aside.
5) Fry the shrimp in batches in the hot oil until deeply golden brown on both sides, then build your sandwich to your liking making sure to double up on the remoulade!
Report a problem