Cook time1 hours 0 minutes
For the Crust:
- 3 Cups of All Purpose Flour
- 3 Sticks (1.5 cups) of Cold Unsalted Butter, cut into small pieces
- 4 Tbsp of Sugar
- 1 tsp of Salt
- 1/3 cup (or a bit more) of cold water
- 5lb of Honey Crisp Apples, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup of All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup of Granulated sugar
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- Zest and Juice of 2 clementines or 1 Orange
- 1 Tbsp of Cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp of Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup of All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup of Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup of Granulated Sugar
- 1 Stick (half a cup) of Cold Unsalted Butter, cut into small pieces
1) In a food processor, add the flour, sugar, salt and butter, give it about 10 pulses, then slowly start drizzling in the water, pulse until the dough begins to come together but should still be crumply, pull it together into a disk (don't add any additional water or it will be gummy and tough) wrap in some plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour.
2) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, line a 10x15 baking sheet (make sure the baking sheet has at least a 1 inch border) with some parchment paper, grease the edges with a nonstick spray and set aside.
3) Take the pie crust out of the fridge about 10 minutes before baking, then roll it out on a lightly floured surface (if any areas tear, just pinch them back together) a couple inches bigger on all 4 sides so you can fit it properly in your prepared baking sheet and set aside.
4) In a large bowl, toss the apples with the flour, sugar, lemon juice, clementine zest and juice, vanilla and cinnamon and set that aside while you work on the topping.
5) In a bowl, add the flour and both kinds of sugar, cut in the butter using a pastry cutter until it's very finely distributed throughout the dry mixture, set aside while you assemble the pie.
6) Fill the pie base with the apples, spread them as evenly as you can, top with the crumbled topping, then bake for an hour or until deeply golden brown, allow to cool for an hour then slice and serve with some vanilla ice cream.
Report a problem