Cook time5 hours 0 minutes
- 2 Tbsp of Light Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp of Regular Olive Oil
- 2 lb of Chuck
- 2 lb of Pork Shoulder
- 1 Yellow Onion, roughly chopped
- 2 Stalks of Celery, roughly chopped
- 2 Carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 cups of Red Wine such as Merlot
- 4 cups of Beef Stock
- 4 oz of Tomato Paste
- 1 Sprig of Rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh basil
1) Preheat a large heavy bottomed pot over high heat with the light olive oil, season the meat well on both sides with salt and pepper and sear in the hot pan until it develops some good color, remove to a plate.
2) In a food processor, add the onions, celery and carrots and pulse until very finely chopped, almost reaching a paste-like consistency, add it to the pan along with the regular olive oil and a pinch of salt and cook for a few minutes.
3) Add the tomato paste, stir that in for a few seconds, followed by the wine and stock, add the meat in the broth mixture and bring to a boil.
4) Turn the heat down to low, cover and simmer for about 4.5 hours, then remove the meat, allow it to cook, shred it finely (discard any fat) place it back in the sauce, adjust the seasoning to taste, stir in the basil and serve it either with pasta and lots of Parmesan cheese or on top of mashed potatoes or polenta, pot roast style.
Report a problem