Cook time1 hours 30 minutes
- 1 Tbsp of Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion, minced
- 2 Stalks of Celery, diced
- 2 Carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 Potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 Slices of Bacon, chopped
- 1 lb Ham Steak, diced
- 1 lb of Dried Split Peas, rinsed, rained and picked through
- 8 cups of Chicken Stock
- 4 Sprigs of Thyme
- 1 tsp of Dried Oregano
- Salt and Pepper to taste
1) In a dutch oven, add a drizzle of the oil along with the bacon, cook on medium heat until the bacon renders its fat and crisps up around the edges, remove it with a slotted spoon and keep the drippings in the pot.
2) Add the onions, celery and carrots, sauté until nice and tender, about 7 minutes, then add the stock, ham, potatoes, thyme, oregano and split peas, bring to a boil, partially cover, reduce the heat to low and simmer for about an hour to an hour and a half or until the soup is lovely and thick and creamy.
3) Add the bacon back in, taste and adjust for seasoning and dig in!
NOTE: this is a MUST with leftover ham and ham bone from your holiday table!
Report a problem