Cook time minutes
For the shortcakes:
- 1 ½ Cups of All Purpose Flour
- ¼ Cup of Sugar
- 2 tsp of Baking Powder
- 1 Stick or Half Cup of Cold Butter
- ¼ tsp of Salt
- ½ Cup of Heavy Cream
- 1 Egg Yolk, beaten
- Egg Wash, for the topping ( 1 egg beaten with a bit of water)
- Additional Sugar, for sprinkling on topFor the Berries and Cream:
- Fresh Sliced Strawberries
- Zest of One Small Orange
- 2 Tbsp of Sugar, or more if the strawberries are not very sweet
- Juice of Half an Orange
- Ready whipped cream
1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2) In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a peddle attachment, combine together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the butter and mix until the butter is dispersed thru and is the size of small peas.
3) Add the cream and egg yolk. Combine together just until a dough forms. Dump on a board and form the dough into about half inch thick. Cut squares or circles and place on your prepared baking sheet.
4) Brush the tops with the egg wash and sprinkle a little sugar over them.
5) Bake for about 20 minutes or until lightly golden, let cool completely.
6) For the strawberries, place them in a bowl along with the sugar, orange zest and orange juice. Let them sit in the fridge for about 20 minutes.
7) When ready to serve, slice the shortcake in half, spoon a little whipped cream on the one of the cut sides and add some marinated strawberries on top, place the top half on and spoon a little more whip cream over the top and fish off with a fresh strawberry.
Report a problem