Cook time10 minutes
ServingsServes 8 to 10
- 6 cups of Mixed Berries such as strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and raspberries
- 1/2 cup of Water
- 2/3 cup of Vanilla Sugar or plain granulated sugar plus a touch of vanilla extract
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 lb loaf of Challah Bread, cut into 1/2 inch slices
1) In a large saucepan, add the berries, water, sugar and lemon, cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes then set aside to cool pretty much completely.
2) Line a 2 qt souffle pan or 9 inch spring form pan with several pieces of plastic wrap and make sure the plastic wrap is overlapping the side of the dish (watch the video for a better idea) then place a few slices of bread in the bottom of the dish (every inch needs to be covered with the bread so cut up some pieces to fit if you have to) then stand some slices of bread around the edges of the dish, pour about 1 cup of the berry mixture on top of the first layer of bread and keep layering until your last layer is bread (you should have about 2 cups of berry mixture leftover).
3) Fold the sides of the plastic wrap to cover the top of the bread, then place a small plate on top of the whole thing and weigh it down with a heavy object like a can or two of tomatoes.
4) Pop it in the fridge overnight and when you’re ready to serve it, invert it onto a large platter and spoon some more berry sauce on top.
Report a problem