Cook time40 minutes
For the cutlets:
- 4 6oz Chicken Breast
- 2 Eggs
- Freshly Grated Parm
- 1-1/2 cups of Bread Crumbs
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Light Olive Oil for shallow FryingFor the sauce:
- 3 Tbsp of Olive Oil
- 1 Small Yellow Onion, finely minced
- 3 Cloves of Garlic, peeled but not chopped
- 32 oz Can of San Marzano Tomatoes, crushed
- Fresh Basil
- Salt, to taste
- 1 cup of Whole Milk RicottaFor the additional ingredients:
- Fresh Mozzarella
- 12 oz of Penne or Pasta of your choice
1) Start by making the sauce. In a large saucepan, add the oil, preheat it over medium heat, add the onions and garlic, allow to sizzle and become translucent for a few minutes, then add the tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper, bring to a simmer, cover, reduce the heat down to low and simmer partially cooked for about 30 minutes. While the sauce simmers, preheat your oven to 400 degrees and fill a large pot with water, add a generous pinch of salt and bring to a boil to cook your pasta.
2) Add enough oil to a large skillet to shallow fry, get it nice and hot over medium heat and while that happens, bread your cutlets.
3) In a shallow bowl, beat together the eggs, a grating of parm, and salt and pepper, set aside On a large plate, mix together the bread crumbs and some more freshly grated parm, salt and pepper, set aside.
4) Dip the chicken breast in the egg mixture, coat in the bread crumbs (shake off any excess breading) and pop it in the hot oil and fry for a few minutes on each side or until golden brown and crispy, remove to a paper towel lined plate and continue with the rest.
5) Stir the ricotta and some parm in the sauce, add a thin layer of sauce in the bottom of a baking dish, top with the cutlets, some more sauce (donít add too much or your cutlets will become too soggy) top with mozzarella and fresh parm and pop that in the oven to melt the cheese until golden bubbly.
6) While the cheese melts, this is the time to add the pasta to the boiling salted water, cook according to package instructions then drain and toss with the remaining sauce, serve with the chicken and dig in!