Cook time1 hours 30 minutes
ServingsServes 4 to 6
For the Soup:
- 2 Tbsp of Olive Oil
- 2 Skinless chicken breast, about 3/4lb
- 1/2 of a Yellow onion, diced
- 2 Carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 Stalks of Celery, diced
- 14 oz of Salsa, either homemade or store bought
- 12 cups of Chicken Stock
- 1/2 tsp of Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp of Ground Cumin
- 1/2 tsp of Dried Oregano
- 6 oz of Egg Noodles
- Salt, to tasteOptional Toppings:
- Diced avocado for topping
- Cilantro for topping
- Lime wedges for topping
1) In a soup pot preheated over medium high heat, add about a tablespoon of olive oil and allow it to get nice and hot, add the chicken, season with a touch of salt and pepper and sear on both sides to develop some color, remove from the pan, add another tablespoon of oil and add the onions, carrots and celery, reduce the heat to medium and saute the veggies for several minutes until they soften.
2) Add the chicken back in along with the stock, salsa, cumin, chili and oregano, bring to a boil then reduce the heat to low and simmer for about an hour to an hour and a half or until the meat falls apart.
3) Remove the chicken to a plate, shred the meat, add the chicken back in the pot then increase the heat to medium and bring to a boil.
4) Add the egg noodles, cook according to package instructions, adjust the seasoning to taste then serve up!
NOTE: I personally love topping this soup with avocado, cilantro and lime but you donít have to!