Cook time1 hours 25 minutes
- 5 lb Whole Chicken, backbone removed and butterflied (watch video)
- 1 Small Yellow Onion, quartered
- 1 Small Red Onion, quartered
- 1 Head of Garlic, sliced in half horizontally
- Few Sprigs of Parsley
- 1 Sprig of Rosemary
- 1 Lemon, quartered
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2/3 cup of Water
- 1/3 cup of White WineFor the chimichurri:
- 1 cup of Parsley, tightly packed
- 1/4 cup of Dill
- 1/2 of a Small Yellow Onion
- 2 Tbsp of Capers
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- Salt to taste
- 1/3 cup of Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp of Olive Oil
1) Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Place the chicken (cut side down) in a large oven-safe skillet, drizzle some olive oil all over the top, season well with salt and pepper, scatter the rosemary over the chicken and squeeze half of a lemon right on top. Arrange all the onions, lemon wedges, herbs and garlic around the chicken, pop it in the oven for about an hour and 15 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees, take the chicken out, let it rest while you make the sauce.
2) In the pan with all the drippings, over medium heat, add the wine and water, and bring it to a boil while stirring and pushing down on the garlic and onions, cook until the juices thicken and reduce by half, season with a touch of salt, discard the veggies and set the gravy aside.
3) To make the chimichurri, add the parsley, dill, capers, onion and garlic in a food processor and pulse until really finely chopped. Add the herb mixture to a bowl along with a pinch of salt, vinegar and oil, adjust anything to taste and set aside.
4) Carve your rested chicken, drizzle some of the wine juices right over the meat and serve along side the chimichurri.