Cook time2 hours 0 minutes
ServingsMakes 8 Sandwiches
- Olive Oil
- 8 Italian Sausages
- 1 Large Onion, or two medium onion, sliced
- 2 Bell Peppers, seeded and sliced
- 5 Cloves of Garlic, smashed and peeled but not chopped
- Few Long hots, NOT chopped, these are optional
- 1/2 cup of Red Wine
- 2 cups of Tomato Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups of Beef Stock
- 1 tsp of Granulated Garlic
- 1 tsp of Italian Seasoning
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 8 Tbsp of Butter, softened at room temperature
- 4 Cloves of Garlic, grated
- Pinch of Italian seasoning
- 4 Tbsp of Freshly Grated Parm
1) Sear the sausages in a little olive oil in a shallow dutch oven, once well seared remove them to a plate.
2) To the same dutch oven (add more oil if you need to) add the peppers, onions and garlic (don't add the long hots at this point if you're using them) add a touch of salt and saute for a few minutes or until they start to develop some color and cook down.
3) Add the tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, granulated garlic, beef stock and seared sausages in with the peppers and onions, then add some basil and arrange the long hots around the edges (if using) bring to a boil, partially cover with a lid, lower the temperature to low and simmer for a couple hours. When ready, preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
4) Make the garlic butter when the sausages are ready by just mixing together the butter, parm, garlic, and Italian seasoning, smear some of it on the cut side of each half of the roll then pop them in the oven for about 7 to 8 minutes or until deeply golden and crispy.
5) Top the crispy rolls with the sausage and peppers (I like to halve my sausages lengthwise) top with provolone and pop them back in the oven for a minute (optional) then serve!
Report a problem