Cook time2 hours 0 minutes
- 2 lb of Stale Sourdough or Rustic Bread
- 2 Onions
- 6 Stalks of Celery
- Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup of Butter plus a bit more for greasing pan
- 1 lb of Italian Sausage, casings removed
- 4 Eggs
- About 4 cups of Chicken Stock
- 1 tsp of Poultry Seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup of very finely chopped Parsley
1) Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Tear your bread into large pieces, toss with a little olive oil and salt and pepper and pop it in the oven for about an hour making sure to give it a toss every 20 minutes. Once the bread is toasted, increase the temperature to 375 degrees.
2) In a pot large enough to toss everything in, cook the sausage in a touch of oil until golden brown and crispy around the edges, while thatís happening, add the onions and celery in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
3) Remove the cooked sausage to a plate, to the same pan (leave in any sausage drippings) add the butter along with the chopped celery and onions, add a pinch of salt and allow to cook on medium heat for about 7 to 10 minutes or until cooked down a bit.
4) Stir in the poultry seasoning, cook it for about 30 seconds, then add the toasted bread, and slowly start adding the stock and tossing to make sure as you add more stock, it's getting absorbed in the bread.
5) Stir in the whisked eggs, cooked sausage and parsley, add this mixture to a buttered casserole dish (I like a 15x10 inch pan here but 9x13 inch works perfectly good too) cover with aluminum foil and bake covered for 30 minutes then remove the foil and continue to bake for another 30 minutes or until golden brown and crispy on top.
Report a problem