Cook time2 hours 0 minutes
ServingsServes 8 to 10
- 3lb of Russet Potatoes, peeled and very very thinly sliced
- 2 cups of Heavy Cream
- 1 cup of Whole Milk
- 1 Shallot, haled
- 3 Cloves of Garlic, smashed but not chopped
- 2 Sprigs of Sage
- Plenty of Salt and Pepper
- 1/4 tsp of Ground Nutmeg
- 4oz of Gruyere Cheese, shredded
- 4oz of White Sharp Cheddar, shredded
- 4oz of Freshly Grated Parm
- 2 Tbsp of Butter, softened at room temp
1) Preheat your oven to 350.
2) In a saucepan, add the cream, milk, shallot, garlic, sage, salt and pepper, bring to a simmer, simmer on low (do not let it boil) for a couple minutes, then remove from heat and allow to sit for about 15 minutes (this is a great time to prep your potatoes).
3) Strain the milk and cream mixture through a sieve into a measuring cup and set aside and in a bowl, mix together your 3 cheeses and set aside a well.
4) Butter a casserole dish (a 9x13 is great here) then start layering the potatoes, season lightly with salt and pepper, then some of the cheese followed by some of the cream mixture, continue until all done.
4) Cover the casserole, bake for 1 hour, then uncover and bake for an additional 45 to an hour ot until the top is golden brown and bubbly and the potatoes are super tender, allow to sit for 30 minutes before serving so the potatoes can soak up all the creamy goodness.
Report a problem