Cook time45 minutes
ServingsMakes about 12 to 16 slices
- 1 Envelope of Yeast (2-1/4 tsp ) plus 1 tsp of Sugar
- 2 tsp of Salt
- ¼ cup of Honey
- 3 Tbsp of Vegetable Shortening, melted
- 1-1/3 cup of Warm Water
- 4 cups of Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/3 cup of Non Fat Dry Milk Powder
1) In a small bowl, add the water, sugar, and yeast. Let it sit for a few minutes until the yeast is activated. Add the shortening and honey to the yeast mixture and whisk it in with a fork.
2) In the bowl of a standing mixer, fitted with a dough hook attachment, add flour, milk powder, salt and the yeast mixture.
3) Knead the dough for just a few minutes or until it comes together.
4) Lightly grease a large bowl, place the dough in the greased bowl, brush the top with a little oil and cover with plastic wrap.
5) Place in a warm draft free spot and let it rise for about an hour and a half to two hours or until doubled in size.
6) Grease a 9x5” loaf pan with some vegetable oil and set aside.
7) Dump the dough onto a lightly floured surface, knead it for a minute just to pull it together. Form it into a loaf, place it in the greased loaf pan (seam side down) cover it with a kitchen towel and let it rise for another hour or so or until doubled once more.
8) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, bake your bread for about 45 minutes or so or until lightly golden brown. If you see the bread turning brown too quickly, tent it with a little foil to stop it from getting too dark. Allow it to cool completely on a wire rack.
9) As soon as the bread comes out, rub the top with a moist piece of paper towel (don’t add too much water otherwise your bread can get soggy) If you prefer a soft crust on your bread.
Report a problem