Cook time1 hours 10 minutes
- 4 Slices of Bacon, chopped
- 3/4 lb of Italian Sausage, casing removed
- 2 Tbsp of Olive Oil
- 1 Yellow Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Stalks of Celery, finely diced
- 2 Carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 Cloves of Garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 lb of Russet Potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 Tbsp of All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tbsp of Italian Seasoning, or more according to taste
- 12 cups of Chicken Stock
- 1 cup of Heavy Cream
- 1 Bunch of Tuscan Kale, stem removed and leaves chopped
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup of Freshly Grated Parm
1) In a large soup pot, add the bacon, cook on medium heat until the bacon slightly crisps, remove to a bowl using a slotted spoon, discard most of the bacon fat from the pot leaving behind only about one tablespoon.
2) Add the sausage to the hot pot, break it apart as much as you can using a wooden spoon, cook until crisp around the edges and fully cooked through, remove with a slotted spoon as well and set aside.
3) Add the olive oil along with the onion, celery, carrots and garlic, season with a small pinch of salt and cook until the veggies soften and develop some color, then stir in the flour and cook for 30 seconds.
4) Add the stock, potatoes, cooked bacon and sausage and Italian seasoning, bring to a boil, partially cover the pot with a lid and cook for about 45 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
5) Remove the lid, add the cream and kale, cook for about 10 more minutes, taste for seasoning, add the parm and enjoy with some delicious crusty bread.
Report a problem